Monday, September 3, 2012

Shopping Mall Excursions

During one of our many trips to the various mall locations Preston got to sit in a toy helicopter. This was one of several moments in this hard plastic cockpit, he kept wanting more. That day we even went on a huge indoor carousel. Preston wasn't in the mood for a "solo" horse ride so we sat in this big pumpkin carriage together. He was in awe the entire time.

Today we ventured into an Old Navy and the first thing greeting us was the smily mannequins. Preston was, at first, taken aback but as he studied them for a couple minutes he deemed them friendly. He took a strong liking to the plastic dog. Preston has been giving hugs to our beagle Ruger but now he was handing them out to all four-legged friends.

The long weekend has come and gone. I even got myself in a pool and enjoyed some BBQ'd food thanks to the Hanson Family. Most of the remaining time was shopping and good old fashion relaxation. School starts up again tomorrow and will be in session until Fall Break in October when Nana will be gracing us with her presence. It's been quite an interesting year so far. My AC has decided to take a vacation for the last two weeks, I'm outside supervising kids on the playground in 105 degree heat and rolling myself around being an Art on the Cart teacher.

A funny story came from all of this, at least it was funny for me. One of the days the AC was bearable my 3rd graders were in my room finishing a project. One of the kids, I've known since kindergarten, came up and declared the end all be all of childhood questions. "Is Santa Claus real?". Yes, it's August, still at that point, and this is the topic of conversation at the table in art class. Apparently ALL the other kids were saying that Santa was indeed a fake and this innocent little boy's question to me was going to make or break his entire 3rd grade year. What was I to say? I had to think fast! His eyes staring up at me in sheer disbelief and needing a valid answer. I leaned down and began to tell him that it's unfortunate that some parents have to lie to their son or daughter about Santa because they were to frightened at night. He was one of the lucky ones that his parents were able to be honest with him.
Do I get the Good Teacher of the Year Award or what??

No comments: