Monday, August 20, 2012

School Daze

It's hot in the desert and the only times we can let Preston go out and roam is early evening.  He loves going around picking up rocks, collecting and sorting.  He could be out there for hours if it wasn't so hot.  Today I took him to the mall to window shop and get some merry-go-round time in.  His face lit up when the plastic dog he was sitting in started to go round.  The large, cushioned play area wasn't his cup of tea today.  He kept running out to see the merry-go-round.  

Our son is a book fanatic, he has his favorites too.  I love it when he hands me a book, plunks himself right in my lap and waits for me to start reading.  He loves rhyming books and large board books too.  He will want to have 5 or more books read to him in a sitting.  We can even get Preston to say some of the words from the books.  "Beep, Beep" is the most popular so far.  His memory is impressive and his sense of humor is captivating.  He has the gift of gab but his jibber jabber hasn't quite reached the point of comprehension. 

He just woke up in a little crying fit.  I take him in my arms and walk him around the dark parts of the house to show him that we are NOT partying out here without him.  I describe all the things we can see in the dark in a soft whisper the way I used to when he was just a newborn.  It works almost every time to lull him back into slumber.  He isn't a little seven pound baby anymore, he holds his own in weight that's for sure.  I ended up sitting on the couch when my arms got tired. 

Back to work tomorrow.  6 days down 174 days to go until next summer.  Don't get me wrong I love my job but I miss seeing my boy's smile every morning.  Sometimes I wish I could just wake him up to give him goodbye kisses.   I get my cute kid fixes at school, though. The kinders are SO tiny this year!



No comments: