Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mid-Vacation


Karen and Preston
Phoenix welcomes a Hunter back for a visit.  I was excited to finally introduce Mr. Preston to her for the first time.  We had a nice arrival dinner at Carlsbad Tavern with the girls and children in tow.  Preston stuffed his face with little Lauren's grilled cheese and we were able to capture a nice "first meeting" photo after our bellies were full.  Arizona, in classic summer fashion, decided to send in a haboob just as we were leaving for the night.  Preston and I managed to escape the heart of the dust storm while we travelled north towards our neck of the woods.  He was such a well behaved boy, a somewhat uncommon occurance these days when dining out.  It is like old times seeing Karen back in the desert. 

Boy Divided


Preston has become quite adventurous these days.  He  finally mastered the doggie door.  We occassionally let him roam the kitchen area with access to his own cabinet, the dog water is removed and he already learned the hard way NOT to play under the kitchen table.  It was only a matter of time that Preston would start playing with the animal door.  At first it was just placing random objects out into the heat; a shoe, container or toy would be found sitting on the ground outside.  Then it became quite ritualistic; it was like he was on a mission.  One day we found Preston hanging half in and half out organizing rocks or playing with the vegetation blown into the corner by the door.  Silence fell and I found him completely content having his legs in and head poking out.  Rob got some great pictures of Preston's other end, Ruger is waiting patiently to re-enter the house away from the 100 degree heat.  I am just glad we do NOT have a pool. 

Rob got him this toy, not me
Kids make life so much more interesting, that's for sure.  Recently Rob, like any excited father, enjoys getting gifts for his son.  Preston is proudly holding his newest addition to the collection.  It actually has dual purpose and makes really cool sounds that he loves to hear.  When he is getting a little antsy in the car, we pull this one out and it will keep him busy for the final leg of a long drive.  The toy is a little mature for an 18 month old but this picture is showing the soft and hard side to this sweet boy.  Preston still favors Winnie the Pooh and his other stuffed animals, he takes after his mommy in that respect.  I even caught Preston sweeping the kitchen floor while holding tightly to Winnie for the duration.  He must have seen me sweeping, then vaccuming.  Just as I finished cleaning, I looked around for Preston and there he was pushing the broom back and forth in the corner.  For twenty five minutes he proudly pushed the broom around beaming from ear to ear.  It is apparent that some of the cleaning genes have rubbed off on the offspring. 

New England is calling our name, Preston and I will be venturing off to the east coast by this time next week.  I 've been taking two weeks to mentally prepare and I pray that I survive the 7-8 hour, 3,000 mile traveling adventure with a toddler.  Countless times I've travelled back home for the summer and something tells me that this will be the longest trip ever.  

No comments: