I went out and walked for Prop 100 today. It was a beautiful day to step out and get some fresh air. We simply get a list of 20-30 names of residents. We use one car while one or more people jump out and knock on the doors listed. If they are home we tell them we're a teacher walking to get the important word out on Prop 100. If they aren't there we leave a door hanger. It is such an easy process...after you try it once you're an expert. I don't think the teachers in my district realize the ramifications of this Prop 100 not passing. We should have every teacher coming out to walk with us. Two more Saturdays before voting day on May 18th. Crunch time!Back in April I had walked for Jackie Thrasher & Aaron Yahneke who are both running for legislative seats for District 10 (the district my school is in). Terry Goddard, who is running for Governor, was there too. It was a great to get in a picture with all of them who support public education. I think I'm flashing a thumbs up in this one. I have my Jackie Thrasher t-shirt on.
We have 4 more official weeks of work. I am looking forward to summer but I need to see if I can get myself a little job to help support me in case the 14.6 million dollar (in my school district) cuts expected if Prop 100 doesn't pass. I will try to do something close to home, most likely not in education. I have my contract for the next school year so I know I have a job as of right now. They still haven't done the official excessing process yet. The outcome of Prop 100 will be a huge determinant. I am just glad I still have a job! Teachers have it rough out here. I can't believe there are actually people in the Arizona capital that want to take down the institution of public education. It's a true tragedy. The recent signing of the immigration bill is just another hole the state of Arizona will have to dig themselves out of.
No comments:
Post a Comment