Friday, June 13, 2014

A Disney Success Story

Seeing Disney through the eyes of a child puts an entirely new spin on its magic and excitement.  This is Preston's first look at the Disneyland entrance and the Disneyland Railroad (Choo Choo Train) that got him smiling from ear to ear as soon as we got in.

I had an idea of how he would react but Preston managed to surprise me with his secret adventurous personality when it came to rides. Previous to this Disney adventure Rob and I had made several attempts to get the boy on carnival and kiddie rides to prime him for the big trip.  To no avail.  The only "rides" he enjoys were the McCormick Ranch Railroad train and the mini train in the mall. Carousels, yes; he has been on but never gave us any indication that he enjoyed them.

Thumbs Up for Astro Orbiter (in the background)
Disney made an impression on Preston and the first ride we went on was the Astro Orbiter in Tomorrowland.  It was questionable but he stood in line, just fine.  He got in the "space ship" yet another good sign.  I was strapped next to him, watching his face to make sure I caught any signs of displeasure.  We started to TAKE OFF. The wind in our hair, the view of the park and the smile on his face was absolutely PRICELESS!  He loved it! Even when we got off the ride he said "that was so cool!".  It was official, he had his mother's adventurous gene and Preston was loving Disneyland!

It's a Small World, a personal favorite, followed.  We also got to experience a Jedi training show that Tara's niece, Kai, was super excited to participate in.  Preston proceeded to enjoy Toon Town, Mickey's house where he met Mickey (within a 2 feet distance though), Donald's house, Goofy's house, Tea Party Cups, Haunted Mansion, Roger Rabbit, Jungle Cruise, Tarzan's Treehouse, Winnie the Pooh and the Railroad.
Toon Town Car
I think I got most of what Preston went on that Disneyland day.  We had Disneyland's California Adventure to look forward to the next day as well.  We ate at the Hungry Bear eatery where Preston got to eat a large Honeybee cupcake.  The day was coming to a close.  We had planned to return for a nap earlier but Preston took one while I was using the baby center facility.  The facility was so quiet, all these nursing mothers and a place to change your baby or give them a nap.  It made me wish Logan was with us.  But I digress.

About an hour after we ate our big meal, we all went shopping for some souvenirs and headed towards main street to get a good spot for the fireworks.  I looked into the stroller and Preston was out for the count.  I was amazed he lasted as long as he did.  What a trooper!   I know I don't have all the rides in any discernible order.  We were jumping from one ride to the next at times it was a blur to me.  Tara knew her way around the park like the back of her hand.  This was only my second Disneyland trip, Preston and I were just like two excited kids on Christmas morning.
Loving the Tea Cup Party Ride!

I was so happy with the shirts I decided to make for Preston and Tara's niece Kai two days before we left.  Hers pink and Preston's green with an iron on that said My First Disney Trip.  All I needed was the iron on sheets, cotton t-shirts, an iron, a printer and my desired image (in reverse).  I went on Etsy and bought the image I used for $2 and it was an immediate download, used my ink jet printer to print the image on the iron on paper.  So simple and yet we got several comments on them and it cost less than $6 to make!  
Wednesday was California Adventure day.  We had a little twist in the morning events.  Tara had us down for a Princess Character Breakfast at 930 a.m.  Kai got to meet 6 different princess, most of which came right to your breakfast table.  It was so adorable.  The breakfast was super yummy and creative.  Preston used up all of his princess stickers to decorate his Disneyland bus he got the night before while shopping.  Of course, Preston goes to Disneyland and wants what?....more vehicles.  One of the princesses even commented on how nice his bus looked.  "Good enough for a princess to ride in".  The entertainment value for Preston wore thin and I was up several times trying to get him back to eat with us.  His waffles were shaped like a boat, with a sail and blue water which got his attention pretty quick...thank goodness.
Preston riding the Golden Zephyr

Our California Adventure started off with the Golden Zephyr which was similar to the Astro Orbiters at Disneyland the day before only bigger.  He was a huge fan and off to a great start.  There was a negative about several of the rides at California Adventure.  They had to measure Preston to make sure he was 40 inches.  He wasn't a fan of standing next to a poll and being measured.  This downfall unfortunately prevented him from riding the Lightning McQueen Cars ride in Cars Land.  We made several attempts to get measured but nothing was working and we had to abandon it.  The one ride I knew he would love and we couldn't get on it.  A little disappointing.

Passed out even with a performance 10 ft away
Preston did though ride Mater's Junkyard, Flik's Flyers, Tower of Terror and Monsters Inc.  By lunch time Preston had had enough and actually fell asleep while pushing him back from our last final attempts to get on the Cars ride.  We went back to the hotel room for a nice two hour reset. We watched movies, rested our feet and ate lots of the food we had brought with us.  By the time we re entered the park our focus was getting our spot for the World of Color show that was going to take us to closing time. World of Color was this parks equivalent of the Disneyland fireworks except with a Vegas water light show put into the mix.

Mom and Preston on Mater's Junkyard Ride
Preston's tolerance for pictures and rides had hit its limit. Tara and Kai went on one more ride while Preston and I window shopped and played some carnival games along the Paradise Pier.  We even got some ice cream as the sun set and the sweatshirts came out.  We walked around Cars Land and finally made our way to finding a seat for the World of Color.

Kai and Tara on the Golden Zephyrs
At first Preston was skeptical about the show, he wanted to go back to the hotel.  Once the show started he was hooked.  He was staring the entire time wanting the people in front of him to move. Famous Disney movie clips, Disney music blasting, high rise water spectacle, colored lights and even pyrotechnics made the show unforgettable!  I would highly recommend catching it, the fast passes to get the best seats helped as well.  The show ended close to 11pm and Preston was still wide eyed and waiting to see more! Another Disney child is born.

By the end of Wednesday's California Adventure day Preston said he wanted to go home. I missed Daddy and my baby, he missed Daddy and Logan.  Four days was just enough time to have fun and enjoy the parks but not too many days that it got overly exhausting and too difficult.  The drive home was a little tough on Preston but he made it!  I think he was proud of how well he did too.  A successful Disney trip!  Happy kid, Happy Mommy and endless memories to carry with us forever.

No comments: