The last time I stepped foot in Sun Devil stadium was easily a decade or more. Today I ran into the stadium, onto the field and finished the Pat Tillman run in 44.28, way better than my estimated time. I had to snag a picture with my alma mater's mascot Sparky to commemorate the event. Being down around ASU brings me way back in the day. Things have a new look down there but it still speaks to me through my memory of what once was.
It must have been the 23,000 people and the excitement of being part of this honorary race for the late Pat Tillman that allowed me to run so well. My starting running buddies Jen & Brandy helped too! The weather was not typical of the desert. We were running the streets of Tempe in cold, windy and cloudy conditions. It was a welcomed change though. Once we got started the weather seemed to clear slightly and it was enjoyable.
The rain drops that accompanied me on my way back to the car made it feel like I was on the Cape again. Except for the fact I was next to a man made lake and walking on a cement bridge. The boys were at home both with colds. Poor Preston was supposed to join me for today's race but he was running a fever and had a rough night of sleep so I had to run it without him. Too bad, he would have loved the excitement. There's always next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment