Sunday, January 29, 2012

Last Moments with a 12 month old...


Sitting in Nana' chair

The first official 12 months are over. Tomorrow we will be looking at our 13 month old.  We travelled to Boston, got to see another baby turn 1 and also added words to his vocabulary.  Preston is now saying "ball".  He can put his hands on his head when I start singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and his new "lovey" is Winnie the Pooh bear.  He isn't officially a walking toddler but he is zipping around in the advanced crawling stages and he cruises along furniture like lightning.  Mr. Preston is curious about everything.  As I type this he has managed to pull almost every book out of our bookcase.  The guest room isn't completely toddler friendly. 


Sitting with Daddy at Krosby's 1st Birthday party
I think it's about to take a spin in his favorite red car!  I put him in and he presses the buttons to make these little car sounds.  When I stop he starts playing with the pretend clutch.  I love it, it even has an adult handle behind so you can push him around.  Preston is eating up a storm.  There isn't anything that he won't try.  He is eating toddler raviolis, scrambled eggs, black beans and shredded cheese.  He eats all of these with his adorable little pincer grasp.  He makes about 80% of it go in his mouth but that other 20% is left on his highchair or on the floor ready for the dogs to mouth vacuum it up.  Preston is a fan of eating that is for sure.

Preston got to eat some more birthday cake at Krosby's first birthday party last weekend.  The decorations were just adorable, Krosby was happy as a clam and we got to play with a lot of babies.  There were loads of extended family so Preston was surrounded by little boys and girls, he had a ball!  Daddy graciously made an appearance with us, such a nice Daddy.  He practically just woke up before we whisked  ourselves out the door to the party.  Poor guy.  The hamburgers were juicy, the cupcakes were yummy but the weather was a little on the chilly side (which is so unusual).  Preston was cashed out at the end of the gift opening, ooh's and ahh's.  The rest of the weekend was relaxing...almost.


Playing with his new toy box from Nana
Sunday turned out to be a little bit of challenge.  I was on an antibiotic for my sinus cold that I couldn't shake, I was on my 6th dose of the drug and I took that morning and by early noontime I was covered with itchy hives and severely red skin!  It covered my neck, back, arms and chest.  It progressively got worse and I started making arrangements for a substitute on Monday.  By 8 o'clock I was in dire need of some relief.  I jumped in the car, drove down to CVS and rushed up to the consulting area.  I slammed down the pill container and pulled off my scarf and said "is this a reaction to the drug Bactrim?" the lady at the counter called over another person to confirm and it was indeed a severe reaction.  He told me to take Benadryl, stop taking the medication and get into see my doctor as soon as possible.  It made for an interesting evening.  Just for your information.  Don't EVER take a warm shower when your body breaks out into hives.  Apparently the worst thing to do.  You learn something new everyday.  There is my health saga.  It brought me back to the day I was given penicillin and my face blew up like a balloon while I was out in Boston seeing the Globetrotters with my Dad at the Garden.  Just another story for the books.


Showing me one of his new favorite words, "Ball".

Preston also had his one year doctor visit.  Everything is looking well.  His weight has stabilized at 22 lbs 8 oz, 31 inches long (half my height) and he still has a big head.  He was a champ again with his shots.  Just a little tears with the second one but he was back to normal when we got out on our way.  The doctor did hear a little, tiny, slight sound of a heart murmur but she is positive it is nothing to be concerned about but she will check again at his 15 month visit in April. 

Look at how long my boy is getting.  I swear carrying him is a challenge and I can see the definition in my arms to prove it.  We loving playing on the floor chasing each other around, he gives big open mouth kisses which melt my heart with each one he smooshes into my face.  I wish the weekends were longer so we could play more.  But on to another work week.  My hives have subsided, my health is back to normal and I have another relaxing weekend under my belt.  

No comments: