Saturday, July 30, 2011

Moved & Wounded

A great man once said "prepare for the worst but hope for the best". I heard this during trying situations growing up in my house but I didn't physically nor mentally prepare for our worst.

The day started early we had Preston up once Rob and I were dressed and ready to start the big move. The night before I got a good portion of boxes up and in the truck (it was my way to work off extra calories). Rob went to get his friend Bob, the extra set if hands. They were off and running as soon as they got back. I left to go to the new house to wait for the new refrigerator soon to be arriving. I set Preston's toys up and anxiously went around and checked out the cleaned carpets and shiny floor (courtesy if Rob).

About 2 hours later the Sears truck rumbled up the street and I could hear the harp strings strum as it parked in front of the house. The new refrigerator is beautiful. I excitingly called Rob to share the news of it's arrival and realized it was lunch time. Preston and I were off to get lunch for the guys.

I arrived to find a fairly empty home with two withered looking souls sitting amongst the moving debris. Bob was worn out but fine, it was Rob who was looking to be in much pain. Poor guy threw his back out about an hour and a half in. He could barely sit up to sip his ice cold lemonade. I'd never seen him this knotted up before. After I scarfed down my salad i drove to get Rob a back brace and some extra strength Bayer.

I thought this was it, we were done. I couldn't do everything else with just Bob and myself. We frantically called moving places and one answered our call, thanks to Metro Movers we were getting help in less than 2 hours (totally last minute). Preston and I went to the new place, Rob drove the truck with what they had already moved and Rob returned to have the "real" movers move the remainder of our things.

Of course not everything goes as I had hoped; to make a long story short they unpacked the final box at 9:45pm. The day started at 5am, the longest day of my life. I do have to say with our last minute job those movers were really kind, considerate and smiling even to the last moment of the move. I was a very happy but tired customer.

A day that will live in infamy for the Naylor family had ended. We all hit the hay HARD. We woke up bruised, sore and weary. The city of boxes surrounding us emplorred me to get the day started and things done before the baby woke up. Rob was off to a much needed massage for his back, we handed in the keys from the rental and can finally call ourselves homeowners. With everything said and done we are thrilled to be here in our own place FINALLY! We will take one day at a time with everything else, that includes more updating, although the house has many perks inplace already.

Time to hang some drapes! Then on to the next item in the new house. Check! Be on the lookout for the change of address in the mail :)

No comments: