Friday, February 25, 2011

Baby Talk


Preston once hated the idea of the changing table when he first arrived. Now the whole idea has literally changed for the better.  He no longer screams as soon as I place him down.  This little boy is now amazed at the sights around him.  He plays with the blankets, stares at the ceiling, smiles at the wall and recently started talking to everything including me!  This is his version of saying hi to his mommy.  I hear "hi (pause) Mommy".  I'm not sure if you will hear it as clearly as I do though.  Preston loves to get changed, all his attention is elsewhere so the diaper process is SO MUCH easier.  Unfortunately, he still doesn't like the wardrobe changing part of the changing table.  He must understand that he can't stay in the same outfit he just made wet.  We are working on that element of his routine. 

As for routine we are introducing Preston to the bottle with formula and with pumped mother's milk.  He has successfully taken both, I'm not really shocked.  If you know Robert (my husband) at all, you know that he has an insatiable appetite.  I had little worry about Preston not taking to a new avenue to food, after all he is Daddy's boy.  Since I will be returning to work in a week I want to make sure Preston has all his options covered while I am gone.  Speaking of gone, Rob has gone to sleep.  He will be starting his night shift work schedule tonight at 9pm.  It will be a lonely evening but I plan on watching Ghost Adventures that takes place at the Grand Hotel in Jerome, AZ.  We went and visited this location the last time we visited.  Hopefully the ghost story won't spook me too much. 

I am gazing at my son's face as I type this.  His eyes intermittently blinking in REM sleep, breathing rhythmically and his red little lips slightly open and relaxed.  I know these are the moments; the mental pictures that parents make in their minds and hold close to their hearts.  I comfort him, allow him to be at ease and ultimately let him feel safe in my arms.  I am a parent, mother and for this second a pillow for my sweet little boy.  

No comments: