Saturday, July 3, 2010

Plantation escape & local pit stops


DAY 2 ~ Friday in New Orleans started with checking in at the NEA RA (National Education Association Representative Assembly). Thank goodness for acronyms. We also got our hands on teacher goodies, while entering for prizes as we went. The convention center had a slew of vendors giving out everything to us but the kitchen sink.

It reminded me of the conventions my father use to attend. I would get to go around collecting every type of pen known to man while stocking up on key chains, note pads, mugs and other useless gadgets for a 9 year old. I didn't even have keys to put on the key chains back then.

After 2 hours of hoofing it around the vendor isles we were off to meet Aunt Jane (not Joan) again for a fun drive out to a plantation. But first we were brought to a local favorite spot for lunch. I had cajun fried chicken, baked beans and potato salad. It was similar to a soup nazi ordering process but the food was worth it!

Once lunch was over we were off to the largest plantation that started the production of sugar. The tour through the house was wonderful! We got a lot of history about the Destrehan Family lines that kept the plantation going. A historical society got it to the beautiful state its in now, all restored and allowing visitor and locals to enjoy the historical gem.

I did get photos on my regular camera that will be downloaded when I get home. Afterwards we stopped for a drive thru daquiri ( I got one without alcohol of course). We were amazed at this frozen drink phenomenon and we had to partake for posterity. As any well rounded teacher would.

We finished off with dinner at a place called Zea's out in the breathtaking Garden District. I have to credit Mindy's Aunt Jane again for making our only full free day so eventful. Oodles of thanks goes out to her.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: