This week in art class I have been attempting to teach 5 and 6 years olds the concept of form. We ventured from the art of Origami to the sculptural aspects of clay figurines.
I was successful with one class. There were several kids who could grasp the 3 dimensional ideas. They loved playing with the clay and once they saw a couple kids make a figure that could stand. Almost all of them caught on, it was great.
The challenge came with the next group. It goes to prove the idea that not all kids are the same. I basically had to make the bottom of the figure for each individual kid. One student in the class made his own. He was the one that has the hardest time sitting, listening and following directions. Which also goes to show the squirrely ones can surprise you. He went around and helped the rest of the group with me.
This is reason #122 on why I love my job teaching elementary school kids art. Reason #123 is today when a little 2nd grade girl showed me her entry in her journal on how she loves her art teacher and other complimentary remarks about my teaching. Gotta love that kind of review!
Tomorrow I will be taking the car in early for a check up followed by some early morning political action around my school's neighborhood to support Prop 100 that will be on our states ballot May 18th. http://www.yeson100.com/
If Prop 100 isn't passed our district will lose our 1st, 2nd & 3rd year teachers. Next school year will already be tough we can't lose these great teachers! Every district is handling the budget crunch differently and there is a lot change going on out there. We need to get everyone out voting a YES on 100.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
No comments:
Post a Comment