Monday, January 18, 2010

Low key, Long weekend

Long weekends are a tease.  Your body realizes it has an extra day to sleep in then BAM, you're  back to waking up a 5 am again the next day.  The weekend was pretty uneventful.  I didn't watch the Cardinals lose like most of the people in the valley, I went food shopping on Saturday night (I am OLD) and watched the Golden Globes from start to finish Sunday night.  The highlight of the long weekend was having Vicki and Jen come over for a girlie Monday lunch today.  I cooked up some beef tacos with chips and salsa and the dessert surprise was chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches.  Rob came home in the midst of our luncheon and had to partake in some of the food, no surprise there.  I am glad that were able to come by,for a good chat and hangin at the new pad. 

I am looking forward to a short work week.  Next weekend there is a 1st birthday party we will be attending on Friday.  The following weekend we will be making our way up to the high country to experience the cold that most of the nation is enduring.  This is what Arizona residents of the Valley do, they actually escape to the cold weather.  Most escape from the cold weather, ironic but that's how the desert people do it around here.  It should be interesting.  Most of the people who are going are from the midwest or east coast so it won't be too much of a shock to the system.  I am hoping to get myself on skies after a decade of not hitting the slopes. Pinetop, AZ here we come! 


The last time I skiied was with my father.  He wanted to take one more trip during my winter vacation home before the season was over.  We were both really rusty and even I felt old because it had been several years since I strapped on some boards.   Speaking of feeling old.  Here is a classic late 80's shot of my brother and father with Rossi's in hand ready for Attitash Mountain, NH.  I can't count how many times we took the ski lift up Attitash over and over again.  I remember the numb feeling in my hands and feet getting worse and worse with every run yet we kept going, my nose running like a river and the vision in my goggle was like a London fog.  After 5 runs (give or take) we would make our way into the ski lodge for some lunch; hot soup, hamburger or grilled cheese were among my favorites. Our clothes soaked with wet snow, fingers frozen barely able to take off enough gear to eat.  After stuffing our bellies with food we were back out there trying to get in as many runs before the last lift went up.  I  have to say some of the best times of my childhood, skiing up in New Hampshire with my family and friends.  I could go on and on about those stories...yet I digress. 

No comments: