Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wednesday: Honeymoon continues...

Rob and I hiked Manoa Waterfall, here we are at the base of a large tree. On Wednesday Rob and I had an early morning breakfast outside looking at the morning clouds set over Waikiki Beach that day. Mid October is the start of Oahu's rainy season. The mornings tend to start off cloudy then they clear up and become sunny and hot. Rob decided on cinnamon waffles and I got scrambled eggs and sausage. The breakfast gave us fuel for our rainforest hike. A 25 minute ride across the island of Oahu brought us to MANOA WATERFALL. The guide gave us water and a hiking stick and we were off exploring the rainforest territory. The conditions were slightly wet and quite dirty. It was rated moderate, yet Rob and I both agreed it was very tame compared to Camelback hiking. It was very relaxing and you just became one with the rainforest surroundings. The plant life was lush and green, it encompassed every step you took. This trail, a hidden treasure that was used by Spielberg while filming "Lost World", leads to the tallest accessible waterfall on Oahu, deep within a prehistoric landscape. If some of these shots look familiar, you may have seen them in Jurassic movies. Rob and I loved every moment of this hike, something new and better with every turn, plus a nice rainforest rainfall just before we reached the peak topped off our excursion. The trees escaped into sky above us and I could barely get them in cameras view. The next several pictures are of the beautiful waterfall. We had been warned that the water that runs through this waterfall has the possiblity of being contaminated with animal bacteria that can make you get real sick. We didn't chance it, but there were people swimming in the water as we approached the waters edge. Rob and I jumped up on one of the slippey wet rocks so we could get a shot with the Manoa waterfall. It was a great day; to say the least! The hike started early enough that we could still get out for a couple hours on the beach afterwards. We walked around some more before dinner. Here is a view of the front of the Hyatt Regency from the public parking highrise lot next door. The Hyatt had 40 floors of rooms. We were only on the 5th floor. TIP many of the public parking lots are multiple floors, the room in these lots are tight and barely manuverable. At all cost opt for the VALET PARKING! We had 2 more full days of Oahu ahead of us, believe it or not the trip got better!

No comments: