Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wrong place, Wrong time

4:30 pm, I see the clock ticking away in my classroom and I realize that a storm is starting to roll in and I should head home for the day. I am off on my regular route to get home. While at a stop light I begin a call to Andover. I get Jon, who waits for mom to get to the phone. All of a sudden the phone flies from my hand, I get horribly jolted forward and the my car gets rear ended! I couldn't believe it! I look in the rear view mirror and see a shamrock colored car behind me with front end damaged. I started getting my pertinent car information out and calling Rob to tell him it would be a while but he didn't answer. I begin to get out of the car to see if the person behind me is okay. She is on the phone calling for help. She is complaining of neck pain, leg pain and a possibly broken toe. I look back to see there is a 3rd vehicle in this accident. A tiny red car with the front end completely smashed in. A man was in the car and there was on-coming traffic coming and I thought it would be best to stay in my car so I headed back. I called 911 from my cell and noticed a person now standing on the sidewalk, the man from the red car. He was Hispanic, red baseball cap and white tank (wife beater). I thought he was just getting out of harms way of the on-coming traffic and so I went about gathering my info and thought I should check on the woman again. I look in my rear view mirror once more to check the traffic and I see the driver of the red car (who caused the accident) running westbound away from the scene!!! Would you believe it?? A hit and run??? Running on foot??? Leaving his vehicle!! Unbelievable!! The car was left without a license plate and in shambles. It was like a scene out of a police video. I went back to tend to the woman in the car and told her the man driving the car behind her was gone and she was dumbfounded. With disbelief written all over our faces, the paramedics could be seen & heard off in the distance. The driver of the red car simply vanished! The paramedics even thought I was the owner of the red car and as I began to tell them my eye witness account they gave little hope of ever finding the guy. After 1 and a half hours the red car was towed, the woman that was severely hit brought to the hospital and I was left with a minor back pain and a slightly banged up rear bumper. On top of it all the clouds parted about 5 minutes after the accident occurred and the sun started to shine down on me for the remainder of my time spent dealing with the incident. I guess I avoided the storm but literally ran into another. Stay safe on those roadways...even at the stop lights.

No comments: