Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wright on board!

The first flight for anyone is a momentous one. Preston began his airport journey yesterday afternoon after many hugs and kisses goodbye from Daddy. We strolled on up to the security check point with full confidence that we were prepared for flight travel.

The airline unfortunately threw us a curve ball and had our flight delayed one hour. A slight adjustment but Preston let himself grab a cat nap during the extra hour of wait time. A light snack from Mommy and he was out like a light. He woke just in time to be wheeled in onto his next adventure... the airplane!

It was a little tricky. Me, a car seat with a baby inside it, a overstuffed carry on, large stroller and a suitcase. Yes, I refused to check my bag even with a 5 month old in tow.  I don't think I've checked a bag since the 90's so I was not about to break the streak now.  I did practice at home with different positions of carrying, rolling and holding but of course when it came down to the moment something else worked out fine.

The flight was almost full and we were in the very last row. This was good and bad but it beat sitting in different rows alone. Even though we got on first because of Preston I had to lug everything way back to the rear of the aircraft, I couldn't recline (person in front of me could), more traffic from flight attendants & passengers and we got not so pleasant whiffs of the latrines behind us. Other than that Preston and I had more privacy during a majority of the flight and I needed almost 30 minutes to gather everything up to make our exit, I looked up when i was finished and everyone was gone. The flight attendants were really impressed with my bags, baby & deboard maneuvers.  We made it safe and sound into Logan.

Things to remember for the flight home. First, take off is a little rougher than landing. He slept most of the decent which may have helped. Second, bottle, bottle and more bottle, BF-ing was just not his cup of tea.  He cried the hardest ever, both times I tried. Finally, do everything else the same way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The first flight had it's ups and downs (obvious pun intended) yet we made it through successfully. My motherly nerves can relax and enjoy the time we have here. I must say I miss the single traveling life just a tad but having my boy as my wingman is worth it!  

Maverick to Goose; over and out.

No comments: