Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Ski Legs Return in Pinetop!

Rob and I ventured up to Pinetop, AZ with a whole crew of winter weather fans, 16 people to be exact.  The group was able to rent a beautiful chalet and guest house for the weekend.  The wood oasis gave us lots of room, a home-like appeal and opened the inner love for bear paraphernalia.  The house was fully decorated with them.  Rob and I had the cutest little room upstair there was no denying the owners really loved this place. 

We were the last car to make the trek up north and the driving conditions were a little tough at the end.  I don't usually see heavy fog and large snow drifts.  Our fearless driver made it safety up to our destination just north of Show Low, AZ.  The next day we were ready to start early and head to Sunrise Mountain for some long awaited skiing. 

We were up early and ready to go.  Most of the group was heading to  Sunrise yet some of the crew stayed back and planned a sledding adventure instead.  This is where Rob and I went our separate ways.  His heel hurt yet he felt okay enough to hit the sled slopes, if you will.  We even travelled up with this truck inner tube that Rob had inflated and we all got high off the rubber fumes while adjusting to the higher altitudes on the car ride up.  I jumped in the car with a bunch of skiers anxious to see if I could actually ski after 9 years. 


Thankfully after strapping on some rented skis, slipping into my old ski boots and pushing myself up into the lift line I knew I was back in my element.  The 20 some odd years of skiing under my belt had not vanished.  It was official, I got my ski legs back!  The cold metal seat of the chair lift, the wind nipping at your face and the aches and pain of ski gear brought it all back...I used to do this practically every winter for most of my young life.  9 years couldn't hide that fact.

I managed to do 7 runs while most of the skiing crew, except one, cashed in their chips early realizing that skiing indeed does a job on your body.  We had a couple snowboards in the group but they weren't any different than I would say 70% of the mountains population.  The two ski route is almost obsolete.  Sunrise was FILLED with snowboarders, the new craze that I rarely saw years ago on the slopes...now its like a sea of winter surfers floating down the white hills.  I have tried the snowboarding in the past and it requires some skill but it's not for me.  Times have changed, I accept that yet I will not bow down to that trend...I am sticking with the classsic Rossignal boards. 

We ended the day with most people in the lodge and me itching for one more run.  I attempted a black diamond, something I used to ski down with ease back in my heyday.  I saved it for last.  My eyes caught a steep trail, full of powder and slightly groomed from snowboarders.  At the top the fresh powder was up past my knees.  As I made my way on a groomed side of the trail I came to a point where it was all deep snow the rest of the way.  I took one final picture just in case I didn't make it down in one piece.  I turned around, bit the bullet and just gave it my best.  There were several turns where I felt like my legs were going to give out and I was going to hurl myself head over feet down the trail.  The sun was shining and I was determined to make it without any humiliation.  Jen was my witness, I did make it down safely with no spills yet my legs were shaking with fatigue.  It was worth it and it made for a super final run at Sunrise. 

After the long day of winter adventures we had a late dinner at Red Devil's pizza place down the street from the cabin and we pretty much all crashed after dinner.  The next day it was scrounging up some breakfast, packing our belongings and getting ready for the drive back to the valley.  We had a great trip, well worth the wait of 9 years.  Hopefully we will get up there again another winter season for some winter fun!  ☻

No comments: